Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday Tastings - O'Fallen Smoked Porter

When in Rome... we like local.  Maybe it's an American thing (although I'm the first to admit that I don't rush into the entire right-wing Americana fad, even I must admit that I was born on these soils... well not EXACTLY these soils... Even though I know reside in Kansas City, MO, I'm from New England, and VERY proud of that!).  Maybe we're just sick of processed food from the big chains, so maybe it's a freshness thing.  I don't know...  My partner and I like to eat with local ingredients, drink from the local coffee shops, and find anything from with a 20 min drive.  So when it comes to beer, there are a few local specialties within an arm's reach.  

I've been to the Boulevard Brewery half-a-dozen times (for those who don't know, Boulevard is the 2nd largest brewery in Missouri... two guesses which is the largest... the first doesn't count!!), and I'm always amazed at how AWESOME their beer is... for a brewery which produces an average of 300 kegs per batch, roughly 150 barrels (I think... I'll have to look it up and get back to you), they sure make their beer in the style of a microbrewery.  There are some others here which I LOVE:  McCoy's, 75th St Brewery, High Noon Saloon... and there are SOOOO many that I didn't list!

I must admit, though, I don't know much about O'Fallon's...it's about 3 hours drive from my home (so nearly to St. Louis), but I've certainly seen their beers on the shelves in my local liquor store.  When I'm out with my friends, I often like to stay safe and drink what I know and save the testing and tasting for home when I can concentrate.  But this one leaped from the menu!!!!  I usually don't drink many smokey beers, but you know... why not?


Directly from the O'Fallon's website:

O’Fallon Smoked Porter
Dark, rich and smoky…this classic porter is brewed with 63% German smoked malt and makes a perfect after dinner (or anytime) sipper for those who love a “bigger” beer. Winner of the Gold Medal in the 2004 Great American Beer Festival® for best Smoked Beer in America!O'Fallon Brewery Smoked Porter
Style: Smoked Porter
Alcohol: 6.0% ABV
Bitterness: 24 IBUs
Color: 29.5 SRM
Grain: 63% Bamberg Smoked Malt, Pale, Caramel 90L, Chocolate, Black-White Wheat
Hops: Chinook, German Hallertau Mittlefruh


I preceded this by Ephemere, which is an apple beer... very interesting contrast!  The waitress described this to me as VERY smokey... but it wasn't that at all! The smoke wasn't even subtle, just enough to add some depth to the porter... That is AMAZING for a beer made of 63% smoked malt!  I did taste some of the sweetness from the Caramel, and the wheat (I believe) added to a very complex mouthfeel that wouldn't normally be there with just barley.

I actually found this beer at World Market, bought another, and have it in the fridge ready to go for a much better (and controlled) tasting.  On the same trip, we bought 3 or 4 different ciders, which we'll pull up in a flight... stay tuned!

Has anyone out there tried this smoked porter?  or any others from O'Fallon's?  How about other smoked beers you like?

Cheers - Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment